Get to know the Pirates...
Salary: £30,000 – £35,000 depending on experience
Location: Penzance Cornwall
Contract type: Full Time – fixed term
Closing date: 4th Feb 2018
The Cornish Pirates are looking for a Head Physiotherapist to join their management team. This is an exciting opportunity to lead the medical support for Cornwall’s premier rugby team for a committed individual. The successful candidate will be an innovative physiotherapist with a clear vision for the medical department and how they can positively assist team performance. As such it is expected they will have a proven ability to work as part of a multi- disciplinary team.
The individual appointed will be responsible for injury assessment and management including but not limited to assessment, treatment, rehabilitation, injury prevention and screening. They will demonstrate excellent clinical reasoning, knowledge of evidence-based practice and their combined application to the sporting environment.
In providing medical support to the Cornish Pirates squad the role will require extensive team travel during the season and as such a strong appreciation for the issues this presents in injury management and recovery is essential.
It is expected that the Head Physiotherapist will possess excellent written and verbal communication skills enabling effective interaction with other members of the medical team, playing squad, coaching staff and other key management involved with the Cornish Pirates.
• To provide all aspects of physiotherapy care to Cornish Pirates Squad
• To work with the Team doctor in the treatment and monitoring of squad injuries and report to the relevant team doctors on all matters relating to players’ injuries and progress.
• Ensure that the injury tracking system Rugby squad is kept up to date.
• Liaise with insurance company regarding player insurance and claims.
• Co-ordinate injury pre-habilitation and rehabilitation programmes of squad.
• Take part in player education in consultation with relevant team Doctor and Fitness Staff on injury prevention, treatment and management;
• Complete musculo-skeletal screening for all contracted players at the start of the season and implement individual pre-habilitation programmes as required. End of season screening should be completed where necessary.
• Order supplies and equipment and keep accurate information on associated costs.
• Accompany players, where possible, on visits to consultants;
• Attend squad training and be available to give treatment at times suitable to you and the player.
• Complete written reports for coaching staff in preparation for squad training days.
• Communicate with coaches regarding progress of injured players on a regular basis;
• Keep up to date on recent research in sports physiotherapy and rugby related physiotherapy issues;
• BSc Physiotherapy or equivalent
• HCPC registered
• CSP member
• 2-3 years experience working within high performance sport
• Evidence of providing immediate pitch side assistance in a sporting environment
• Masters Sports Physiotherapy
• RFU ICIS qualification
• Dry Needling/acupuncture qualifications