All the Latest News & Fixtures...
Below is Cornish Pirates’ centre Callum Patterson’s chosen ‘Dream Team’ as was printed in Sunday’s edition of The Rugby Paper. The selection, with four Pirates included, is Callum’s considered best XV played with or against.
1. Andrew Warwick – Ulsterman who has played over 100 times for the Province. Solid set-piece and great around the park. Also, very skilful in a lorry!
2. Tom Cowan-Dickie – Before playing with him he was one of the worst to have to tackle. Solid as a rock, ran through everything. Lineout very good and great defender. Great over the ball and wins as many penalties as a back row.
3. Ben Franks – New Zealand international who even in his mid-30s was incredibly fit and as strong as a bull. Great asset to any forward pack, one you could rely on for a scrum penalty.
4. Tadgh Beirne – A player who really could play any position on the field. Skill-set is first-class, super in the lineout and a turnover machine. Can also finish tries like a winger.
5. Brett Beukeboom – Canadian international and Cornish Pirate who never played a bad game. Consistent and exactly what I would want in my engine room. No fancy stuff, just a work rate and was the best leader you could go into battle with.
6. Josh Caulfield – Heard of Josh when he trained in Ulster’s academy and once I was able to grace the field with him at Pirates, I saw exactly what he was all about. Huge work rate, carries all day and tackles anything in front of him.
7. Thierry Dusautoir – The French stalwart was an incredible athlete, very quick over the ball and awesome in the collision. A very good rugby brain.
8. Marcell Coetzee – First man into this team. One of the best No.8s in the world – powerful, quick in attack, always gets over the gain line and a super defensive breakdown.
9. Ruan Pienaar – Quick, efficient service and a kick game that was always on the money. Made the game look very easy.
10. Joey Carbery – Injury has hindered his career but what a talented player. Always had a few extra seconds on the ball and a brilliant all-rounder who could manage a game very well.
11. Tommy Bowe – No better man on the wing. Finished tries for fun and tactically very astute. Amazing skill-set helped from playing Gaelic football, especially under the high ball.
12. Stuart McCloskey – The ‘Bangor Bulldozer’ has been ever-present for Ulster. Continually gets over the gain-line and has distribution skills anyone would be proud of. Good try-scoring rate and kicks the ball a mile.
13. Luke Marshall – Childhood friend and playing at a young age together at Ballymena, I knew he’d be world-class. Solid all-rounder and great reader of the game. Filled you with confidence.
14. Andrew Trimble – One of the best at evading players and a superb finisher who has shown many times on the international stage just how physical he was in attack and defence. Not so great on the golf course!
15. Kyle Moyle – Electric pace and ability to beat a defender in the tightest places. Been the best Championship player for years and has X-factor. Deserves chance at Gloucester.
Available via www.championshiprugby.co.uk
Nicolas De Battista has been named as club captain
Guarantee your virtual seat for all five home Championship fixtures with a Cornish Pirates Live Streaming Season Ticket!