Cornish Pirates v Bedford Blues

Pirates 16-13 Bedford

Sunday 10th November 2013


Cornish Pirates 16 Bedford Blues 13

Sunday 10th November
Greene King IPA Championship Round 7
Mennaye Field Penzance

Match Picture Gallery

Woll's Report

Remembrance is a sombre thing at the best of times and the weather certainly added to the atmosphere, as the Pirates and Bedford produced a tense and intriguing battle in trying conditions.

The Pirates it was who prevailed, thanks in main to a ten minute period after the break where Kessell; with his third try in two games and Hallett’s trusty right peg finally put some daylight between the two warring factions. Truthfully the hand to hand stuff dished out by both packs was quite brutal at times, although never beyond the pale under Mr Harding’s quietly authoritative stewardship.

It had been brewing though in a similar timescale just before the break, after an opening half hour of chess-like sparring – and a change of touch judge as local cricket legend & milkman, Andrew Snell, stepped up to the plate when Dino pulled up with injury(!) - had only produced a couple of penalties each for Hallett & Sharp.

This initiative the Pirates grasped, frustratingly produced no further points despite Holland & the Pirate’s ‘Team Scrum’ going mightily close.

There was however plenty of concern from the ground staff as, with Sir having to move the repeated melees further in field, the threat of a man made trench being created increased with each encounter.

Bedford however are not a side to ever to be written off, despite their uncharacteristic start to their Championship campaign.

An innocuous touch finder from Sharp that looked to be going ‘dead’, had grazed a Pirate hand en route and gave the Blues a lifeline. Replacement prop Fearn benefitted in the Scoreboard Corner and, with the help of Sharp’s own reliable hoof, from nowhere a three point game halted any thoughts of a comfortable canter to the line.

The visitors not unsurprisingly took heart and threatened to turn the tables for ten minutes or so, until the Pirates defence finally took a foothold once more.

From here on, the home pack waded in and controlled the clock perfectly, to win the penalty that Hallett gleefully launched towards the Promenade.

Another deserved win then for the Cornishmen, who continue to add to an encouraging start to their season.

Mike Rayer’s charges though, are left scratching their collective heads still, wondering what on earth they need to do to turn losing bonus point into wins. It would be a foolhardy pundit to suggest this won’t eventually occur.

 “…There is music in the midst of desolation…And a glory that shines upon our tears…” Laurence Binyon. September 1914. Pentire Point - Cornwall.

Cornish Pirates
15 Craig Holland 14 Mike Pope  13 Tom Riley  12 Junior Fatialofa (Rheon James 71)  11 Kieran Goss  10 Kieran Hallett  9 Tom Kessell  8 Jake Parker  7 Alex Cheesman (20 Joel Conlon 65)  6 Chris Morgan (capt)  5 Darren Barry  4 James Sandford (19 Neale Patrick 54)  3 Alan Paver (18 Ben Prescott 75)  2 Tom Channon (16 Rob Elloway 65)  1 Shane Cahill (17 Jack Andrew 71)

Replacements: un-used 21 Luke Jones

Tries: Kessell
Cons: Hallett
Pens: Hallett 3

15 Mark Atkinson 14 Neville Edwards 13 Brendan Burke (22 Michael Le Bourgeois 73)  12 Ollie Dodge  11 Aaron Morris  10 Jake Sharp  9 Darryl Veenendaal (21 Luke Baldwin 63)  1 Nico Steenkamp (17 Darren Fearn 58)  2 Scott Spurling (16 Charlie Clare 58)  3 Phil Boulton (18 Ben Cooper 73)  4 Ben Gulliver  5 Paul Tupai (19 Mike Howard 54)  6 Tom Armes (c)  7 Nick Fenton-Wells  8 Joe Vandermolen (20 Don Barrell 63)

Replacements: all used

Tries: Fearn
Cons: Sharp
Pens: Sharp 2

Match Officials
Referee: Simon Harding
Assistants: Dino Maddern (Andrew Snell 3), Phil Watters

Attendance: 1609

Man of the Match: Keiran Goss